Ahoy there, mateys! The Cardboard Boat Races are back! This year the rules are a little bit different! Please take a moment to read the rules below. If you are interested in participating this year, a full list of rules (including materials instructions) can be printed by clicking the button at the bottom of the rules!
- 4 people must ride in the boat – 1 must be an adult
- Ages 12 & under must have a lifejacket
- Must go around buoy and back to shore
- Winners will be determined by a point system
- Paddles and Oars
- There are no restrictions placed on decorative materials as long as they do not aid in the flotation or propulsion of the boat and do not create a safety hazard.
- Register your boat by submitting your Team/Boat name to Recreation@SandyPines.com
- This year, we will be scoring boats using a point system. This allows all participants an equal chance of winning.
- Boat Materials – 40 points – all points will be awarded if they use proper construction materials
- Decorations – 1st 25 points, 2nd 15 points, 3rd 10 points, everyone else 5 points – park members will be able to vote on the Facebook Page
- Finish Line – 1st 30 points, 2nd 15 points, 3rd 10 points, everyone else 5 points – participants will get points for getting their boat all the way to the finish line with all members on the raft.
- Best Dressed – 10 points – team with the best outfits will earn additional points, this will be determined by Rec Staff.
- Guest Appearance – 10 points – Convince a park representative to be your team’s cheerleader (board members, PSO, golf course, administrative staff, park & garden, or maintenance – cannot be related to you)
- Team Anthem – 10 points – Come up with a team chant, song or slogan to sing while rowing out.
- All boats must be at Phase 1 Beach by 9:00 am on Race Day.
- Decoration Judging will begin at 9:30 am on Sandy Recreation Facebook Page.
- All participants must arrive at 10:15 am to review the rules.
- The race will begin at 10:30 am.