SANDY PINES DOCKS
As communicated over the last half of the season, the state of Michigan through the Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE) has informed Sandy Pines that all docks in Lake Monterey are required to be removed from the lake by November 1st.
Members removing their docks from the lake effective November 1st may store their docks in the greenspace for this off-season only. Docks must be pulled as far as possible away from the water/shoreline to allow for off-season maintenance. Members must have their docks identified with their site number. At the start of the boating season, April 15th, docks may be placed in the lake. Any docks remaining in the greenspace after May 15th will be subject to violations and fines. We are working on providing a list of contractors to remove and store docks for 2024.
Dock removal was communicated during our July 2023 Board of Directors meeting. Sandy Pines also passed Resolution 072123A updating our Sandy Pines Rules, Regulations and Handbook to reflect this change. Members may request a Sandy Pines AND EGLE permit to leave docks in the lake year around. Below are the finalized criteria, expectations and process members requesting permits will need to follow.
Members requesting a permit to leave their docks in year-around will need to ensure the following criteria are met:
- Boat Stake and Dock are located in the correct Sandy Pines GPS location
- Existing dock meets state requirements
- Existing dock is not in a state of disrepair
- Existing sea wall(s) near or under dock are not in a state of disrepair and meet state requirements
Sandy Pines recommends all docks be removed from the lake due to the fact that any repairs due to ice or water damage during the off season will require an additional permit from EGLE to place back in the lake.
To request a dock permit, Sandy Pines members will need to do the following:
- Contact Park Inspector Office or Member Service to be added to the dock permit list
- Provide name and site number
- Park Inspector Office will set up an appointment within 24-48 hours to review your dock, dock location, assess permit requirements and provide recommendation(s) to member
- If dock meets requirements and is approved by Park Inspector, member account will be charged for Sandy Pines and EGLE permit fees ($100 each)
*Sandy Pines Dock Permit and Addendum examples attached